*This post contains affiliate links for convenience.*
This weekend my husband and I got out for a very rare date night. The movie Elf is a favorite of both of ours. They had a musical version of Elf in the city & we just had to go see it, so we called in Nana for the night and went out for a much needed date.
The musical was wonderful. The cast did a spectacular job. The songs were cute, catchy and well performed, but I was most impressed with the scenes. Maybe it is the Christmas lover in me, but the North Pole scenes & the Christmas in the city really got me. They also inspired some North Pole craft ideas that I couldn’t wait to do.
What you will need:
Toilet Paper Tubes
Small regular pieces of cardboard
I had three North Pole characters in mind, Santa (of course), a snowman & a penguin. I painted all of the pieces first to allow time for all of them to dry, but here is a break down of each craft.
Penguin at the North Pole
- Paint a toilet paper tube in all black. I realized later that I needed to paint the inside as well. Let the paint dry.
- Squeeze glue on about 2/3 of the tube & spread cotton over it in an oval shape.
- Cut flippers out of black construction paper or use foam, as it is sturdier. Cut a beak and feet out of orange. Glue them into place & add googly eyes.
- Cut a small slit into the side of a paper bowl. Slide a Popsicle stick into it & glue into place. Cut a piece of cardboard into a small rectangle. Write North Pole on the sign & glue it to the top of the Popsicle stick. Glue the penguin to the bowl. Glue stretched out cotton balls all over the bowl & around the penguin and the sign. Add a small line of cotton to the top of the sign.
Santa at the North Pole
- Paint 3/4 of a toilet paper tube red & the rest in black. Paint the pointy separator of the egg carton red & let all dry.
- Glue the egg carton portion to the top of the red end of the tube.
- Glue a ring of cotton around the bottom of the egg carton & at the point right above where the red & black meet.
- Cut a small oval shape out of flesh-toned paper. Add googly eyes to the oval shape & paint in cheeks a small nose & a mouth. Glue it right under the hat.
- Glue stretched out cotton around the outside of his face and between his nose & mouth to form a mustache and beard. Add a small cotton ball to the top of his hat.
- Draw in buttons on Santa’s coat.
- Follow the steps in step 4 from the penguin craft above to finish off the craft.
Snowman at the North Pole
- Paint a toilet paper tube in white. Paint a piece of egg carton in black. Let them dry.
- Draw the snowman’s face in with a Sharpie & paint in the carrot nose with orange paint.
- Cut a black circle a bit larger than the egg carton piece out of black construction paper or foam & glue the egg carton to the the center of it. Let dry.
- Glue the hat to the top of the snowman.
- Cut a piece of ribbon to use as a scarf. Glue it into place.
- Glue pipe cleaners in place for the arms.
- Follow step #4 from the penguin craft to finish off your craft.
These were so much fun & cute to make, I wanted to make more.
Thank you as always for stopping by. Please follow us on Facebook as well.